1-800-FLOWERS.COM

Saturday, December 1, 2007

Maynah Bird

I don't keep a maynah bird in my house but my parents have two in their porch.They have that for some years already and these 'talking' birds are just really funny.
My father recently has one in his law office too. Its bird cage is placed at the door entrance. It won't be long that this bear will be the one to greet anyone who enters the door "good morning", "good afternoon", or "go away!".

One time, my father (who is fond of this bird)was so worried about one of this first mynah bird that he owned, that he brought the bird inside his bedroom and placed it beside the airconditioner. The next morning, he found the bird stiff. His suceeding mynah birds are now kept in cages placed at the terrace.

Here are some of the words and phrases these birds can say and do:
- "maut kag nawng" (you're ugly)
- "ayo!" (tao po)
- "naay taw" (may tao)
- "naa na si papa" (nandito na si papa)
- wistle
- "dayon" (come in)
- can make sound like that of a telephone ring
- calls the names of our drivers
- makes the sound of my father's 'clearing of his throat'
and many more......

Everytime I am at my parent's house or at his law office, I always tell the mayna "Leah guapa, Leah guapa" hoping that everytime they see me, they will shout those words to me.

2 comments:

JB said...

Hi Leah,

maynah bird are a joy to keep and ur dad must be having a swell time with his bird. let me know when ur maynah starts saying 'leah guapa.' share with me the tecnik.

jb

joey said...

Mynah birds usually talks every morning just like my bird "Twinkle". Every morning it sez Inang...Inang pertaining to my lola as we call her who sometimes feed Twinkle, that happens when Twinkles likes to eat.Sometimes word like PAPA... in a gay manner of talking giving me the imppression is that bird a gay or what? Knowing for sure I can't distinguish if its male or female. Anyone who can give me the idea on how to know if a mynah bird is a male or female...
G.C.T.